Oh No, Not Again - It Might Be Time to Migrate to Drupal 8

Submitted by C B Wright on

Short version: after finally updating all my Linux machines to the latest version of Ubuntu/KDE, I can no longer run my Drupal 7 test environments. This means I can no longer test any changes to Eviscerati.org, which makes me uncomfortable.

Drupal 8 runs fine though. Which means... ugh, I don't even want to say it. I may have to migrate the site from D7 to D8.

Unexpected downtime last week; back now

Submitted by C B Wright on

I say "unexpected downtime" but I don't mean the site. I mean me.

On January 31 our DSL went out, "sort of." By "sort of," I mean I had access to everything on the Internet that wasn't immediately useful: I could ping, I could ssh (OK, that was moderately useful) but I couldn't check email, couldn't browse, generally couldn't get anything done. By Friday DSL support had convinced me that it was a modem problem, and I ordered a new one.

Which didn't arrive until Friday.

Nine and a half days of relying on my phone for Internet access made it incredibly difficult to do much over here, especially since I was trying (unsuccessfully) to prevent my bandwidth usage from going over my AT&T data limit. Ah well, such is life; the good news is that I have Internet access once again, and things should return to whatever it is that passes for normal on this little corner of the Internet Ocean.

Well, hopefully better than "normal." We'll see.

Things Will Be Quiet

Submitted by C B Wright on

My DSL is out. It's a long and convoluted story that ends with "I probably won't get service back until Tuesday or Wednesday." Until then, the only Internet Access I have will be from my cell phone.

Don't expect too much around here till then.

Forums Are Offline

Submitted by C B Wright on

In the continuing drama of "as soon as you fix one thing, two more things break" I've had to disable the forums. Today I started getting alerts that there were php errors in the forums, and reports of infinite loops... I went to check it out and some of the forum subsections were... well, not working right.

Fortunately they haven't been used much. I say "fortunately" because it looks like the best way to fix the problem is "nuke and rebuild".

Anyway, forums are offline until I online them again.

Story Arc Viewer Broken (Now Fixed!)

Submitted by C B Wright on

Just a quick FYI... for those of you who use the story arc viewer (i.e., for those of you who click the "Webcomic Storyline" link at the top of each comic in order to view the entire series of comics associated with the storyline) something is broken. You can only view the first five comics of a story arc... the pagers don't work.

I'm trying to figure out why. It's exciting.

UPDATE: I found out why! It's fixed.

Finally the links are back!

Submitted by C B Wright on

The move from Drupal 6 to Drupal 7 was, if you will recall, a traumatic process that literally took years to figure out. Even after the move was complete (which has produced a number of benefits in site stability and responsiveness, though this is still a fairly sluggish site) there were some key features that were missing. For example, when you went over to the main comics page you would see comics without any navigation links. This was, understandibly, not what people prefer to see.

It's taken me most of the rest of year to figure out how to put those damn links back on the page, but I did it. It's a kludge (a pretty brilliant one in my not so humble opinion) but I did it. In the process I discovered a few permissions settings that prevented those of you who were browsing anonymously from seeing the complete page. That's fixed, too.

At this point, I still haven't figured out how to put the navigation links above and below the comic. I know that's what most of you prefer to see, and I'm working on it.

I'm also playing around with Google Web Fonts. Let me know if you find them distracting, easier to read, if you would prefer I do the whole site in Comic Sans, that sort of thing.

UPDATE: I've set most of the site text back to the standard Arial/Helv b/c "Titillium Web" renders... very badly... on -- wait for it -- Chrome, of all browsers.

Pages