The Return of the Podcasts

Submitted by C B Wright on

Waaaaay back when I first started posting fiction I used to post podcasts of every episode I published. You can still go through the archives and listen to my original attempts at recording Pay Me, Bug! -- if you insist -- though when I listen to them these days, I die a little inside.

Having all my fiction in audiobook format is something I really want to happen. My preferred solution for this is to get a brilliant narrator to read all my stories, bringing each character to life. Unfortunately, right now my budget for narrators is...

...well. Me. My budget is me.

Just deleted a bunch of spam user accounts

Submitted by C B Wright on

The new fun game the blogspammers have adopted when plaguing my site is to create an account and try to create posts in the Eviscerati Forums. This worked for a while until I changed a few settings so that my spamcatcher could do its thing... but even though they haven't been able to break through Mollom for a few weeks, they keep registering accounts.

So today I purged a lot of spam accounts from the roles. I'm pretty sure I only purged spam accounts--their account names are rather, ah, distinctive--but it's possible I accidentally nuked some legitimate accounts as well. If that happened to you, I'm sorry. On the other hand, you might want to avoid using account names like "petergrflkmmmbtp" in the future.

If you're wondering where all the updates are...

Submitted by C B Wright on

... well, I can't say as I blame you. Unfortunately for everyone including myself, I've been sucked into creating Emergency Security Documentation for my day job, and anyone who has ever done Security Documentation will tell you that it is an event horizon of stress and despair. It's eating up pretty much all of my time and everything else has been pushed to the side.

This is one of the disadvantages of having a job that pays the bills and all that. Anyway, I hope to update soonish.

Things Moving Forward, Finally

Submitted by C B Wright on

So as you may know, based on past posts, last year we moved to Montgomery, Alabama. We have been living with my mother-in-law, a saintly woman who must surely be blessed after putting up with all the things she's had to put up with ever since she put us up. We've been trying (and failing) to find a place to live... and trying and failing, and trying, and failing, and then trying again and almost succeeding (but ultimately failing).

I don't want to jinx anything, but we're signing a lease tomorrow. I know "signing a lease" sounds utterly trivial, but there were hoops involved. HOOPS I TELL YOU.

So tomorrow we move into a place where I will have my own actual bona-fide office, which means that it may actually be easier for me to get things done. Since "getting things done" has been sort of an issue while we've been in exile I'm hoping this will allow me to return to something approaching a "consistent schedule" for all my projects.

Let's find out!

Coming Events: The First Week of 2014

Submitted by C B Wright on

The first week of 2014 will be 11 days long, because I'm talking about the first full week, which ends on Saturday, 11 January. That's right, I'm cheating. Happy New Year...

  • 1/1: Update to site template. Should resolve a few of the display issues. None of the big ones, unfortunately.
  • 1/6: The Points Between, Chapter 27. Seriously. No, seriously.
  • 1/6: Help Desk Resumes. With a new storyline, even.
  • 1/8: New Kernel Panic. Surprise!
  • 1/10: Curveball Issue 15. It was almost the last issue of 2013, but it's going to be the first issue of 2014 instead.

Eviscerati.Org, 2014 Edition

Submitted by C B Wright on

One of the things I've wanted to do for a veeeeeeeery long time is support mobile devices. I toyed with a solution briefly last year but it wasn't very robust, and I decided I was going to wait until I had time to implement a proper solution.

How to implement a proper solution, you ask? Well, first you start developing using a Drupal template that that was specifically designed to support various media devices "automagically, on-the-fly." To do this I adopted a template from AdaptiveThemes and modified it to get it as close to my old site design as I could possibly manage. A few weeks later (and many sleepless nights later) this is the result.

There are a few quirks in the UI I haven't worked out yet. You may notice that the header is completely screwed when you're browsing with a smartphone or a tablet. I haven't quite figured out how to fix that just yet (if you happen to be a CSS whiz please feel free to open up Firebug, take a gander, and send me some advice!) I expect I'll find other charming issues along the way as well. But I think overall the change will be much more convenient for mobile users, and possibly not horrible for the rest of you as well.

Pages