Oh No, Not Again - It Might Be Time to Migrate to Drupal 8

Submitted by C B Wright on

Short version: after finally updating all my Linux machines to the latest version of Ubuntu/KDE, I can no longer run my Drupal 7 test environments. This means I can no longer test any changes to Eviscerati.org, which makes me uncomfortable.

Drupal 8 runs fine though. Which means... ugh, I don't even want to say it. I may have to migrate the site from D7 to D8.

Quick Status Update

Submitted by C B Wright on

Eviscerati.Org has been a lot more quiet for the last week or two than I'd intended. Short version: a few days before Christmas, my primary work computer, a beast of a laptop that I've used for about four years, died abruptly. Because that is my work computer (work including the things I do on this site, and also the things I do 40 hours a week that allows me to pay my bills) I needed to get a replacement, fast. So this Christmas I found myself with an additional expense--a new desktop computer.

Except that I didn't just go out and buy a desktop computer. I bought a barebones system and extra parts, because it was cheaper. Unfortunately, the last time actually built a desktop computer was six years ago, and a lot has happened in the last six years. So instead of focusing on the enjoyable and creative things in my life, I've been holding together this new computer with duct tape during work hours, then trying to get it to actually work in my off hours.

So basically that combined with holidays means I have no updates for... well... anything. And the Publishing Of Great Things probably won't resume until January 5, because I need another weekend to iron everything out.

(The long version of this story is a lot more amusing and involves a desktop computer power supply actually exploding. But that story is going to have to wait.)

We're back! Don't sneeze.

Submitted by C B Wright on

My regularly scheduled irregular schedule was interrupted yesterday when I tried to be a responsible site owner and keep my site up to date. The best way to do that, obviously, was to very irresponsibly try to upgrade the entire server to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. This mostly went well, except for the parts that didn't. Specifically: upgrading Apache 2.2 to Apache 2.4 is apparently a Very Bad Idea unless you know what you're doing.

... I didn't know what I was doing.

New Feature: Infinite Scrolling for Webcomic Story and Character Arcs

Submitted by C B Wright on

Another new feature I've wanted to add for a long time is now being tested, in limited fashion, on my site.

For quite a while, I've set up my comic to give readers the ability to view the entire arc of a storyline by clicking the storyline name on the comic display:

In the example above, clicking "The Road to Binky" takes you to the very beginning of that story arc (one of the larger ones in my archives).

Site now (mostly) mobile-compatible

Submitted by C B Wright on

Earlier this year I switched over to a new theme that was supposed to support mobile devices. It did, for the most part, but there were... um... aberrations that forced me to disable some of its mobile device-friendly tricks. As a result, trying to look at my website on a mobile device, specifically a smartphone, was not a pleasant experience.

This weekend I think I fixed most of that, so if you're one of the brave few who visits this place on your cell phone, well, it should be easier to do.

For those of you who visit here with computers, you probably won't notice too many of the differences, with the exception of the pagers I use for the webcomics (I had to stack the pagers on top of each other in order to get them to fit on a mobile device). Other than that, you shouldn't notice the changes at all. If you want to see what it looks like, though, you can just change your browser size. The changes are based on a calculation of display width, so if you reduce the width of your browser you'll the layout update accordingly.

The last thing I need to take care of on the mobile device front is the Fiction Page. The multi-tabbed box at the top doesn't display well on small screens. It's something I've been planning to update anyway, because it's a bit cumbersome to manage and isn't as useful as I was hoping.

If you find any site problems, post them here in the comments or put something in the site forums.

Just deleted a bunch of spam user accounts

Submitted by C B Wright on

The new fun game the blogspammers have adopted when plaguing my site is to create an account and try to create posts in the Eviscerati Forums. This worked for a while until I changed a few settings so that my spamcatcher could do its thing... but even though they haven't been able to break through Mollom for a few weeks, they keep registering accounts.

So today I purged a lot of spam accounts from the roles. I'm pretty sure I only purged spam accounts--their account names are rather, ah, distinctive--but it's possible I accidentally nuked some legitimate accounts as well. If that happened to you, I'm sorry. On the other hand, you might want to avoid using account names like "petergrflkmmmbtp" in the future.

Pages