Eviscerati.Org Forums

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

YA suggestion

...because I'm not a Twitterati.

I'm also not a YA (pretty much your age), but I got hooked on Seanan McGuire's October Daye series (not *exactly* YA, and the main character's active sartorial choice is "things that won't be completely ruined when [not if] they get [usually her] blood on them", but if you're good with that, really good urban fantasy with Faerie), so I thought I'd try some other stuff.

I will recommend her Wayward Children series, starting with "Every Heart a Doorway".  Warnings: it's about children that don't fit, so sometimes unloved or uncaring children, and it is by no means violence- or sad ending-free.  I would definitely read it first before passing it to my daughter; but at 13 I had already worked my way through LoTR, so I may have a higher opinion of what teenagers are comfortable with than some.

Catherynne Valente's Fairyland books, starting with "The Girl who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making" are also a good choice (though I haven't read more than two of those).

C. B. Wright has reacted to this post.
C. B. Wright

Thank you for those suggestions! I will add them to the pile. I've started her with six books and we're going to see whether any of them take, and then add more over time.